Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Purchases, Surprises, and DIY Projects

One of the things I love about our Disney Vacations is planning our itinerary and coming up with great surprises for my family. Since the kids aren’t going with us this time, I am stumped as to how I could make the trip special for my DH, L.J. and Brianne.

I have been pouring over trip reports and threads on the DIS to come up with some ideas. One idea that I swiped from several people on the disboards was to call the Coral Reef to set up a diver banner and personalized menus. The management is still deliberating a policy change on whether or not they are going to start charging for this service, so this surprise is still on the shelf.

I love making DIY projects for our trips. My cubicle in the garage is outfitted with most of the things any self-respecting crafter would own. I have my trusted PC with Adobe Photoshop installed, a nice printer, a laminator, a binder, a sewing machine, my cricut with the Disney cartridges, scrapbooks, cardstock, and an insatiable urge to make crafts.

So far these are my purchases, surprises, and DIY projects:

  • Disneyshopping purchases—I happened to be checking my email early one Friday morning when Disneyshopping.com sent me an email about an awesome weekend sale they were having. I saw several things that I thought would make a nice addition to LJ and Brianne’s gift bag. Well I put the items in my cart, but was undecided about going ahead with the purchase. Sonny chimed in with his thoughts that I should just go for it since the prices were so good.

    Fast forward to that evening. I was peeved at myself for not buying more items from the sale and set out to make another purchase. Everything that I had bought that morning had gone up in price. The site was still heralding this great weekend sale, but the prices that evening were nothing like the prices I saw that morning. I am so glad that I went ahead with my purchase. SCORE! I apologize to everyone on here who wasn’t able to get their items at the lower price.

Check out my super low price loot:

The Mickey knit Henley and flannel PJ set that I picked up for LJ for $5.99. Also pictured are the luggage tags, picture frame, and anniversary pins I picked up on our last trip.


Lavender polo for $4.99 and the Mickey Cable-Knit Hat and scarf set for $5.99--all bought for me!

  • Amazon purchases: One thing that I know is definite is that we are putting together an anniversary bag for LJ and Brianne. I purchased the bag on Amazon.com for $3.50, so I hope that the bag is nice. I am going to just pack everything in an extra suitcase and put it together once we are there.

Well the bag came in and it is pretty nice for $3.50. I was able to get some graphics from the nice ladies on the Creative designs board and personalized it myself.

I found a sale on desk calendars on Amazon.com and scooped up some gifts.

The Dilbert calendar will be for Sonny to put on his desk at work. The other one is for Brianne. Trust me when I say that we have been friends for so long that I KNOW that she will bust a gut laughing when she sees that calendar.

  • Mousekeeping envelopes

I downloaded the envelopes from Mouseforless.com, cut and folded them.

Originally I was going to print clipart on to sticker paper and make the seals for the envelopes. I ran out of sticker paper, so I had to improvise. I printed the images on cardstock, ran the cardstock through my Xyron, and then punched each picture with my 1 1/2” circle punch. I think that they turned out super cute.

  • After reading this thread on the restaurant board about custom cakes I decided to order a 10” for our dinner at the California Grill. I will tell you more about the flavors when I get back.

  • Hopefully, no one will be offended by my next DIY project. Please remember it is all in fun and we are a married couple.

I scraplifted this great idea for a wedding gift on the Cricut forum. The brain starts working to make it fit my anniversary trip and my next project was born. The original project was made into a ring-bound book, but I wanted something that could be made entirely with scrapbooking paper since I have a ton in my office. And I corrected the title on the finished project to read "Naughty but Nice coupon box". I was going to ask for suggestions for other coupons, but that might really get risque!




The original project can be found HERE. My thanks to Laura Harbron for the idea and permission to borrow.

Well that is all of my DIY projects for now, but I am sure that I will have a few more to tell you about before we leave. Comment and let me know what you think.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Grocery Coupons at A Full Cup